Posted: September 22, 2019
Week of September 23, 2019
Wow! That was a short week that seemed very full week! On Wednesday, we enjoyed a tremendous PAC Welcome Back BBQ that saw well over 400 people in attendance and over 800 hotdogs served! Clearly, we have a community of parents that are passionate about strengthening the connections between home and school!
I know as we get into the swing of September we start to feel worn out and a little tired as we get our “School Legs” back into shape. Yet, even in this incredibly busy time of teachers setting up their classroom routines, expectations, and visions for the year – they were still able to step into the shoes of the learner on Friday’s School Improvement Day.
It was an incredibly powerful day of learning and growing together as the Skyhawk family and I felt privileged to be part of it. Thank you to all the staff who helped present on that day – thank you for “Daring Greatly” in front of us all – your passion for kids and connection is clear and palpable.
PICTURES FROM THE WEEK
Our PAC put on a tremendous “Welcome Back Skyhawks” BBQ for all our parents and staff to enjoy on Wednesday Night. Over 400 people came and over 700 hotdogs were served!
Mr. Wright & Mr. Miller have students collaborate & brainstorm the characteristics of a memoir.
Students on the playground in search of the buried treasure! #futurearcheologists!
Mr. Mitchell working alongside students to make wooden gumball machines!
Ms. D is excited to have her colleague, Ms. Lyon starting in the Front Office – come in and introduce yourself!
A powerful day of learning and growing together as a staff on Friday. Working on our focuses of our culture of care and student literacy. We explored aboriginal ways of knowing and principles of learning through our FLOCK initiative and literacy styles & strategies through our district literacy teacher.
NEW INFORMATION TO SHARE
- Grade 8 Teacher – Mr. Miller has accepted our Grade 8 position as Mr. Goulet has left this year to teach at Peter Ewert Middle. As Mr. Miller is already in a position at the school, he will be starting this Grade 8 position in Sept 2020. Therefore, Ms. Taggar will be continuing in the Grade 8 position at HDSMS for this year. Congratulations to them both!
- Andrea Lyon– Has officially started in our front office and we are excited to have her on the team!
MIXED MARTIAL ARTS CLUB – We have a group coming in to coach MMA for the entire year. They will start next week from 3:00 – 4:30pm in the multi-purpose room. The days have not been sorted out yet, that information will come soon. If you have students asking please have them sign up with Mr.Hendy.
FLOCK BEGINS THIS WEEK!
- FLOCK is HD Stafford’s advisory program, a central tenant of Middle School where we purposefully build strong relationships with students while trying to build their sense of belonging and social-emotional skills. FLOCK stands for Fostering Learning of Others through Care and Kindness.
- FLOCK will run Monday to Thursday for 20 minutes after blocks 1/2, with the goal of engaging with the students in a non-academic and relational way. There is a tremendous amount of educational research that shows the direct correlation between a student’s sense of belonging and student success. As part of our Action Plan for Learning at HDSMS we will be foster
INFORMATION FROM LAST WEEK:
Our first round of practicum nurses will be in the building this week. Besides hygiene they are open to coming into classrooms for any health or body related topics. This could include but is not limited to nutrition, sleep, and self-care. This is a great resource for our students – thank you KPU!
THIS WEEK AT HDSMS REGULARS
Intramurals: These will be starting very soon – stay tuned!
Athletics Schedule: Volleyball (Girls and Boys) and Cross Country will be starting soon – stay tuned!
PAC Update: Our first PAC meeting will be on Sept 25th beginning at 6:30 pm – Come and get involved!
What’s Up At LSS: Langley Secondary regularly puts out a blog celebrating the awesome things going on there. Click here to access the Saints Scoop.
District Community Bulletin Board: The District regularly updates parents and families on communities opportunities in and around Langley. Please click here to regularly check in with what opportunities are available.
Coming Up This Week
CLUBS AND ACTIVITIES:
Please let your students know about the opportunities available to them.
- Open Gym Basketball for Girls: Tuesday and Thursdays 7:30am – 8:30 min the Large gym
- Games Club: Mondays 3:00pm 4:00pm in the Community Room
- Art Club: We will have Art Club 3:00 – 5:00pm Tuesdays in the Community Room. Starting Sept 17th
- Indoor Soccer: Starting Tuesdays Sept.24th 3:00 – 4:00, Small Gym, see Mr. Bailie (Girls and Boys)
- Photography Club – See Mr. Mitchell
ON THE HORIZON…
Sept 23rd– Terry Fox Spirit Assembly
Sept 24thand 25th– DART Lunch Learning Sessions
Sept 25th– 1stPAC Meeting of the year
Sept 26th– Terry Fox Run (1:30 pm )
Sept 30th– Every Child Matters – Orange Shirt Day
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
“I want to try the impossible, to show it can be done.”
– TERRY FOX