Posted: May 22, 2023
Week of May 22nd, 2023
Happy Sunday Skyhawks Parents & Guardians!
We hope you all enjoyed a wonderful long weekend! The weather cooperated, the days are getting longer and summer is on its way! Though a short week – May is ending with a blast! There are transition meetings with LSS and our grade 5 feeder schools, rugby playoffs, the EVAA Badminton Championships, the Gauss Math Contest, as well as the week finishing off with TWIN SPIRIT DAY! We hope you all have a great week ahead.
Here’s the SCOOP!
PICTURES FROM LAST WEEK!
NEW INFORMATION TO SHARE:
TRANSPORTATION – REGISTRATION FOR 2023-2024 DEADLINE IS MAY 15th
Transportation registration for 2023-24 is now open. Please note the instructions to register are different for each category of rider. To help in our planning and creation of bus routes, registrations must be submitted by May 15 (eligible riders) and June 18 (courtesy riders). The District cannot guarantee approval after the deadline. New and existing riders can find more information on our Transportation Registration webpage HERE.
Our Rugby Playoffs start this week, with both of our teams winning home field advantage. The games will be on Tuesday May 22nd after school, so pop out to the back field and cheer our student athletes on. GO SKYHAWKS GO!
Gauss Math Contest – Postponed until May 25th
Our writing of the Gauss Math Contest has been postponed until Tuesday May 25th to ensure all our Gr.7s & Gr. 8s are able to write it.
Community Room Homework Club on Wednesdays! Let your Kiddos know!
- Homework club started on September 28 and will run from 3-4 on Wednesdays in the Community Room. Students will receive academic support and build positive relationships. The first half of homework club we will work on homework and from 3:30 to 4:00 we’ll change gears and do fun activities together! We’re looking forward to seeing you there! A huge thank you to Langley Church (Youth unlimited) for their support. See Mrs. Sandher if you would like to join any after-school activities.
- The Breakfast Program Students can enjoy light breakfast items between 8:00-8:30. Students will enter through the exterior doors of the Community Room, and when the bell rings they will line up with their classes. The breakfast program is for all kiddos!
- LUNCH PROGRAM: The lunch program is for families who need extra support. Please contact Mrs. Sandher, our Community Coordinator, at Ksandher@sd35.bc.ca, if your child needs clothing, food, and/or other support.
FORMS, FEES, & LOCKERS
Lockers have now been distributed to all classes and students, however we are hoping to finish collecting school fees and online permission forms as soon as possible. If you can please do the following:
- Pay your school fees using the SchoolCashOnline link here.
- Complete the Online permission forms that also on your SchoolCashOnline account.
STAFFORD ATHLETICS & AFTER SCHOOL EVENTS
SKYHAWKS ONLINE STORE IS LIVE!
We are very excited to roll out the new online Skyhawks Apparel Store to all staff, students and our Stafford community!
- HDSMS will continue to work towards being a completely paperless school when it comes to communication with parents. In order to stay informed, please be sure you use at least one of the following on-line methods:
- Email: send your information to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure you are on our parent email list.
- Attendance: If your child is going to be away from school – you can email email@example.com to report the absence.
- Twitter: Follow our feed at twitter.com/HDSMSskyhawks
- Instagram: Follow us at instagram.com/HDSMSskyhawks
- Website: Stay up-to-date at sd35.bc.ca
- Thanks to those who participated in the Langley Walk under the HD Stafford name. We won for the largest school participation award and will be receiving a trophy from Langley City!
- Thank you to those who wrote on the virtual thank you card for teachers. Check out the posts here: Virtual Thank you card for the teachers
- Thank you for your support of the Neufeld’s Fundraiser for a profit of $865!
- STAY GOLD CUSTOM CAR SHOW
- Save the date! PAC adult concession volunteers for two hour shifts will be needed Sunday June 25th at the 5th Stay Gold Car Show at HDSMS.
- Adult volunteers are also needed, before, during and after the show. Signup before April 30th, and receive a FREE commemorative Stay Gold Car Show t-shirt. Those who sign up for 2 or more hours receive a free voucher for lunch on the day of the show.
Stay Gold volunteer signup
Upcoming Popcorn Dates:
- Grade 7 – May 31
Upcoming Hawk’s Nest Dates:
- Grade 8 – May 24
- Grade 6 – June 7
Upcoming Hot Lunch Dates:
Munchalunch ordering for hot lunches – deadline is usually one week before.
- May 26th – Subway
- June 12th – Little Caesar’s
Upcoming PAC meetings:
Last general PAC meeting for the year! Including AGM and voting of new executive!
- Wednesday, June 7th, 6:30pm in the HD Stafford Library Commons
Any nominations can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Volunteer nominations welcome at the meeting as well. All positions are open! President, treasurer and secretary must be voted on to secure gaming funds for next year. Email Gina at email@example.com if you have any questions of how to participate.
- Friday, June 2nd – Help set up a thank you buffet breakfast for the Staff from the PAC – 6:45-8am
- Friday June 9th – Students having their Stafford Olympics Day! Can you spare an hour? We need parent volunteers to wrap hot dogs and lunches for students 9-11:30am and sell freezies 11:30-1:30pm (Times are approximate) Contact Gina at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sunday, June 25th – The PAC has been offered an opportunity to fundraise with concession at the Stay Gold Car Show!
- PAC concession volunteers for two hour shifts will be needed Sunday June 25th inside the Stay Gold Car Show at HDSMS: Stay Gold volunteer signup
Keep updated with PAC fundraisers and info through Facebook and Instagram at:
HDSMS Parent Group
HDStafford Middle School PAC
PAC GENERAL INFORMATION:
Our PAC works to help create effective partnerships between the school and parent community. Building the triangle of support between parent, school, and child will create powerful learning opportunities and ensure our children’s success.
Each and every parent or guardian is a member of our PAC. We encourage you to join us for the monthly meetings to participate in the building of PAC community and create learning opportunities for your child.
The 2022/23 HDSMS PAC EXECUTIVE:
|Alex Joehl||Vice Presidentemail@example.com|
|Chantale Hubbs||D-PAC Repfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Solanlle Panguinao||Member at Largeemail@example.com|
|Cindy Chung||Member at Largefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Lisa Tatarniuk||Member at Largeemail@example.com|
|Cathy Worrall||Fundraising Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Cathy Worrall||Hot Lunchemail@example.com|
|Chantale Hubbs||Long Term Planning Committeefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sarah Preston||Events Coordinatoremail@example.com|
Please direct any general questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
COMMUNITY SUPPORTS FOR PARENTS:
FROM THE DISTRICT:
L.E.A.P. (Langley Environmental Awareness Program) Academy
The Langley School District has made recent changes to L.E.A.P. (Langley Environmental Awareness Program), Fort Langley Elementary’s outdoor education program, which includes becoming an academy. Because of these changes, L.E.A.P. is now looking to expand to grade 5. If you have a student who is going into grade 2-5, we encourage you to explore this opportunity using our website: https://tinyurl.com/5n97k6pn . If you think your child could benefit from this experience and you want to learn more about the program, please complete this expression of interest form before May 1st:https://tinyurl.com/2svn5vrk.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: