Posted: February 20, 2023
Week of Feb. 20th, 2023
Happy Family Day Skyhawks Parents & Guardians!
I hope all of you had a chance to take a breath this weekend and spend some quality time with your family. I’ve thinking about family a lot lately… as parents we spend a lot of time and energy focused on providing for our families. It’s our passion, our calling, and often we choose to do it everyday. However, there needs to be balance in what we do – to remember that our family needs us too! Family Day is a great reminder that though we strive and work hard everyday – time with our family should always come first. So this weekend – take time to make intentional memories with those that you love!
Here’s the SCOOP!
PICTURES FROM LAST WEEK!
NEW INFORMATION TO SHARE:
- Please join us in welcoming NICOLE RATEL who will be joining us in Green 8, covering Ms. Hesketh’s maternity leave.
- Also, we are excited to have LAUREN REINDERS who will be joining us as an SEA in the complex resource room.
- Welcome Nicole and Lauren!
The White Hatter Presentation (Digital Literacy and Internet Safety Presentation):
We will be having a Digital Literacy and Internet Safety for Middle School Students presentation from The White Hatter on Tuesday February 28th, 1:00-2:30pm. Please stay tuned for more information.
In the meantime be sure to check out the website full of great tools for parents!
LSS Musical Theatre presents Mary Poppins!
Langley Secondary Musical Theatre Company would like to invite you to see this year’s show, Mary Poppins! (We had hoped to also stream the show, but Disney has removed all their full shows from the streaming license, so live is the only way to see the show.)
We have a cast and crew of 50 students plus a full orchestra made up of students and community members, all working hard to make the magic of the show come to life. Audiences of all ages will enjoy the story of the world’s most famous nanny.
See below for show times and the link for purchasing tickets online. You can also pay in cash at the door ($12 for seniors or students, $14 for adults). Just reserve your seats by emailing lssmarypoppins@gmail with the show date and number of seats requested.
- Opening night Thursday Feb 23 @ 7 pm
- Friday Feb 24 @ 7 pm
- Saturday Feb 25 @ 2 pm
- Saturday Feb 25 @ 7 pm
- Thursday March 2 (Alumni and Staff night!) @ 7 pm
- Friday March 3 @ 7 pm
- Saturday March 4 @ 2 pm
- Saturday March 4 @ 7 pm
Tickets can be purchased online here: https://sd35.schoolcashonline.com/Fee/Details/44195/111/False/True
Cold Temperatures and Winter Weather:
This week is calling for freezing temperatures and maybe even some snow. Just a reminder to reduce the risk of slip and falls during the icy weather: when possible, please tell your children to follow the designated walking paths and avoid shortcuts and unsalted areas. Also, walk slowly and deliberately in icy areas and expect the pavement and sidewalks to be slippery.
Also a reminder as the weather gets increasingly cold and wet, please send your children to school with appropriate clothing and footwear as many students ( especially in the snow) do love to go outside!
Community Room Homework Club on Wednesdays! Let your Kiddos know!
- Homework club started on September 28 and will run from 3-4 on Wednesdays in the Community Room. Students will receive academic support and build positive relationships. The first half of homework club we will work on homework and from 3:30 to 4:00 we’ll change gears and do fun activities together! We’re looking forward to seeing you there! A huge thank you to Langley Church (Youth unlimited) for their support. See Mrs. Sandher if you would like to join any after-school activities.
- The Breakfast Program Students can enjoy light breakfast items between 8:00-8:30. Students will enter through the exterior doors of the Community Room, and when the bell rings they will line up with their classes. The breakfast program is for all kiddos!
- LUNCH PROGRAM: The lunch program is for families who need extra support. Please contact Mrs. Sandher, our Community Coordinator, at Ksandher@sd35.bc.ca, if your child needs clothing, food, and/or other support.
FORMS, FEES, & LOCKERS
Lockers have now been distributed to all classes and students, however we are hoping to finish collecting school fees and online permission forms as soon as possible. If you can please do the following:
- Pay your school fees using the SchoolCashOnline link here.
- Complete the Online permission forms that also on your SchoolCashOnline account.
STAFFORD ATHLETICS & AFTER SCHOOL EVENTS
SKYHAWKS ONLINE STORE IS LIVE!
We are very excited to roll out the new online Skyhawks Apparel Store to all staff, students and our Stafford community!
- HDSMS will continue to work towards being a completely paperless school when it comes to communication with parents. In order to stay informed, please be sure you use at least one of the following on-line methods:
- Email: send your information to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to ensure you are on our parent email list.
- Attendance: If your child is going to be away from school – you can email firstname.lastname@example.org to report the absence.
- Twitter: Follow our feed at twitter.com/HDSMSskyhawks
- Instagram: Follow us at instagram.com/HDSMSskyhawks
- Website: Stay up-to-date at sd35.bc.ca
Upcoming Popcorn Dates:
- Wait for announcement for new dates starting after Spring Break
Upcoming Hawk’s Nest Dates:
- Wed March 8th – Grade 6 Hawksnest
Upcoming Hot Lunch Dates:
Munchalunch ordering for hot lunches – deadline is usually one week before.
- Tuesday Feb 21st – StrEATS – order cut off Monday Feb 6th
- Friday March 10th – Little Caesar’s Pizza – order cut off Thurs Mar 2nd
(If you have a Grade 6 child and were previously registered at a different school or need an account at two different schools and you’re having trouble setting up your account, please email email@example.com for help)
Upcoming PAC meetings:
6:30pm in the HD Stafford Library Commons room.
- Wednesday, April 12th
If you have any questions or if you are interested to volunteer at our PAC initiatives, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Keep updated with PAC fundraisers and info through Facebook and Instagram at:
Neufelds frozen savoury and sweet items Fundraiser:
- Ordering April 3-19th, Pick up Sat, April 29th, 10am
Krispy Kreme Donuts Fundraiser!
- Thursday April 6th (pre-ordered boxes will be delivered to students’ classrooms)
- Keep an eye out for ordering through Munchalunch
PAC bake sale Fundraiser!
- Thursday, March 9th
- Baked goods available at lunch, after school and during evening parent-teacher interviews
- Volunteers needed for baked good donations and selling. Look out for the signup genius link this week.
HDSMS Parent Group
HDStafford Middle School PAC
PAC GENERAL INFORMATION:
Our PAC works to help create effective partnerships between the school and parent community. Building the triangle of support between parent, school, and child will create powerful learning opportunities and ensure our children’s success.
Each and every parent or guardian is a member of our PAC. We encourage you to join us for the monthly meetings to participate in the building of PAC community and create learning opportunities for your child.
The 2022/23 HDSMS PAC EXECUTIVE:
|Alex Joehl||Vice Presidentemail@example.com|
|Chantale Hubbs||D-PAC Repfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Solanlle Panguinao||Member at Largeemail@example.com|
|Cindy Chung||Member at Largefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Lisa Tatarniuk||Member at Largeemail@example.com|
|Cathy Worrall||Fundraising Coordinatorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Cathy Worrall||Hot Lunchemail@example.com|
|Chantale Hubbs||Long Term Planning Committeefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sarah Preston||Events Coordinatoremail@example.com|
Please direct any general questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
FROM THE LIBRARY LEARNING COMMONS:
Can’t wait to share all the awesome literacy events coming this year.
COMMUNITY SUPPORTS FOR PARENTS:
FROM THE DISTRICT: